Meat Ragu with King Valley Pasta Sauce
This slow cooked meat ragu is rich & tender, well worth a little love. It’s soul food that can simmer away until dinner time.
1 x 500g jar King Valley Pasta sauce
500 g pork shoulder or chops fat & skin*removed, leave whole.
Skin* (reserve piece approx. size of small saucer)
500g beef, oyster blade, chuck steak or gravy beef. Leave as whole steaks.
300ml red wine
1½ cups beef stock (can use bought or 1-2 stock cups with water
1 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
2 Tbsp tomato paste, if a richer sauce is desired
- Sear meat in a large heavy based casserole/pan on stove top separately and on all sides of shoulder & then beef in batches. Set aside.
- Sauté onion and carrot in remaining oil, till onions are transparent, add reserved pork skin, left whole, fat removed to base of pan.
- Place all pork and beef in next, sauté on high till pan is hot.
- Add red wine, moving the contents occasionally with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking. Reduce wine till about ½.
- Place beef stock into pan with meat & bring to the boil, stir with wooden spoon, reduce heat on stovetop cover with lid to seal well.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours checking & stirring occasionally.
- During cooking period, (2 hrs from start), remove all meat into a large roasting tray. Remove pan from heat also. Remove the meat from bones, if any and discard bones. Cut or shred meat and replace in cooking pan. Ensure there is at least 1 ½ -2 cups stock remaining in the cooking pan at all times; add extra beef stock as required.
- Replace to low heat for the remaining ½-1 hour, covered. After cooking time, remove lid, pork skin & discard
- Add 1 jar KV Pasta Sauce, tomato paste & bring to the boil & simmer uncovered till tender and sauce reduces and thickens. Season to taste.
- Serve with a good quality papparedelle pasta, fresh grated Parmesan & crusty fresh bread.