This slow cooked meat ragu is rich & tender, well worth a little love. its soul food that can simmer away till dinner time.
- 1 x 500g jar King Valley Pasta sauce
- 500 g pork shoulder or chops fat & skin*removed, leave whole. Skin* (reserve piece approx. size of small saucer)
- 500g beef, oyster blade, chuck steak or gravy beef. Leave as whole steaks.
- 300mls red wine
- 1 ½ cups beef stock (can use bought or 1-2 stock cups with water
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 Tbls tomato paste, if a richer sauce is desired
- Olive Oil
- Sear meat in a large heavy based casserole/pan on stove top separately and on all sides of shoulder & then beef in batches. Set aside.
- Sauté onion and carrot in remaining oil, till onions are transparent, add reserved pork skin, left whole, fat removed to base of pan.
- Place all pork and beef in next, sauté on high till pan is hot.
- Add red wine, moving the contents occasionally with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking.
- Reduce wine till about ½.
- Place beef stock into pan with meat & bring to the boil, stir with wooden spoon, reduce heat on stovetop cover with lid to seal well.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours checking & stirring occasionally.
- During cooking period, (2 hrs from start), remove all meat into a large roasting tray.
- Remove pan from heat also.
- Remove the meat from bones, if any and discard bones.
- Cut or shred meat and replace in cooking pan.
- Ensure there is at least 1 ½ -2 cups stock remaining in the cooking pan at all times; add extra beef stock as required.
- Replace to low heat for the remaining ½-1 hour, covered.
- After cooking time, remove lid, pork skin & discard
- Add 1 jar KV pasta sauce, tomato paste & bring to the boil & simmer uncovered till tender and sauce reduces and thickens. Season to taste.
- Serve with a good quality papparedelle pasta, fresh grated Parmesan & crusty fresh bread.